Left adrift in the classroom:

Feeling unprepared for the upcoming AP test
Suhail Rahimi

When I enroll in an AP course, I normally decide on it for the college credit or for my own personal interest, with the understanding that I’m coming into a load of work. But with my AP French class, I have found myself losing both focus and preparation, as part of our class was scheduled to share the classroom alongside a French 3 class.
On a normal day, our teacher has to divide out work to one side of the classroom, to then try and juggle teaching a lecture to the other side. With all the side conversations, I do not feel fully immersed in the work atmosphere.
Without the full class period to converse and communicate with the teacher in a language-based class, students are unable to verbalize and practice their needs effectively which is crucial especially when both enunciation and fluency are a big part of a language class.
This balancing act has also put pressure on our teacher with having to grade piles of class work that could have been reviewed, and having to lesson-plan a class worth of work in increments.
In the classroom, the AP French students are divided to the right whereas the French 3 students are sat to the left. This division creates a barrier of the room. It would be beneficial if each language level were given its own period.
Unlike my other APs, I feel underprepared to even enroll for the test. With taking my foreign language five more trimesters than the required amount, I should feel confident to show off my skill, but instead feel it might accumulate to nothing.
This is not the fault of the teacher, but rather, an administrative error. The school needs to support AP language students and give them separate periods of instruction.