From posts to prospects

Social media tends to play a big role in the social lives of Generation Z. From connecting with peers to sharing opinions, these apps are constantly used as a means of communication. However, it can be easy to forget how many people have access to posts, especially in terms of colleges.   

In a 2022 survey from Kaplan, Inc., it was estimated that 27% of admissions officers check the social media accounts of applicants before they make a decision.    

Of those admissions officers, an estimated 57% said that they found a negative impact on the prospective student.    

Not all do. Washington State University (WSU)does not check prospective students’ social media.    

“We are very clear to students about our admissions requirements and what will be considered in the application process – just the information on the application and the student’s academic record on their transcript,” WSU admissions officer Ivy Donelson said.   

Similar to how a future employer might check social media before offering a job, admissions officers want to make sure that one’s image is a good representation of their college’s morals and purpose. They want to accept students who are passionate and hardworking, not students who post themselves partaking in illegal activities.  

High school students planning to apply to colleges should be mindful of what is being shared, especially students who want to play collegiate sports, as coaches and athletic directors have been known to check.  With social media being a large part of the athletic recruitment process for many schools, it is crucial for athletes to present themselves in a positive manner.    

Social media accounts can also make or break a potential athletic scholarship opportunity according to Athletic director Damian Gonzalez, “if somebody was seen on social media doing drugs, or drinking, or committing acts of violence,”    

A general rule of thumb would be to think before posting. College coaches may assume the worst in order to stay safe and preserve their reputation.   

Counselor Karly Ward-well recommends “you just keep your social media accounts private. Even if college admissions won’t check, your future employers definitely will.”   

While everyone has the freedom to post what they want, not everyone will appreciate what is posted.    

When considering future plans, be aware of posts linked to your name and the potential impacts of it. College admissions could always be watching.