Staff editorial: walking the line of danger

Titans crossing Espola Road becomes a hazard for all
Suhail Rahimi

In a rush to get home, and too bothered to go to crosswalks, every day over ten Titans run across oncoming traffic on Espola Road to get to their neighborhoods. This has become a crossing hazard for many drivers and pedestrians each day being unable to safely cross without the implementation of essential measures like a crosswalk stop.

With the legality of jaywalking with the Freedom to Walk Act, as of January of this year, it became illegal for pedestrians to be subject to a fine or crime when crossing or entering a roadway when no cars are present. 

The closest crosswalk from the front of the school is on Titan Way and another can not be seen until 0.7 of a mile later at Lake Poway Road. This should not be an open invitation to cross through traffic, but with the congestion of traffic, some students may mistake this for still traffic and risk crossing because they cannot be bothered to walk farther to get to their destination.

Drivers who continue to push over the 25 mph speed limit during school hours also become a huge walking hazard. This has consistently been a problem with two students being hit crossing the road in the past two years.

The danger is not only during the half hour before and after school but a recurring problem even after hours for sporting events, and many after-school programs.The exit out of the North Parking lot, funnels into a one way line of traffic to exit and becomes a hazardous area for students crossing at night.

As a staff member we suggest the city should take advantage of the area being inside of the school zone and implement a crosswalk stop at the cross section of Summer Sage Road and Sandhill Road to help guide students. We understand that this could be difficult to anticipate entering from North of Espola Road, but warning signs can be put further before the destination, for drivers to proceed cautiously and for Titans to aim towards a safer voyage.