Picture perfect promposals

Seniors Connor Wong, Breeze Czapinksi, Gavin Wong, and Ben McAulay, sophomore Ben Stone, junior Katherine Gavigan, and sophomore Rhegan Meyers help with the promposal.

Senior Breeze Czapinski walked into the pool area, when suddenly classical music started to play, and the swim team started a synchronized swimming routine, ending with the swimmers grabbing boards which spell out “PROM?”

This promposal was organized by her boyfriend of six months, senior Connor Wong. Wong got the help of the swim team to set it up, and spent several days practicing to make the perfect promposal. “The hardest part was logistics, and being in the right place at the right time,” Wong said. 

Czapinski has known Wong since middle school, and wasn’t expecting the proposal to be so flamboyant “I was surprised because I thought it was going to happen at dinner, but it was cool,” Czapinski said.

The account was run by junior Amanda McGhee, but the winner was chosen by a panel of four teachers: Curtis Lewis, Madison Aquino, Emily Pratt, and Joe Islas. The top five most-liked posts were selected as finalists, and from there they judged the posts based on “a mix of the effort and creativity used,” McGhee said.

Wong and Czapinski narrowly beat out senior Campbell Flight’s proposal to junior Teya White which included a non-aquatic dance routine to the tune of “Eenie Meenie” by Sean Kingston and Justin Bieber.

While those two were the most interesting to judges, finalists also included senior Ethan McGuirt’s promposal to junior Bella Amiraslani Cataldo, where he surprised her with a sign reading “you make me bananas, prom?” which was the most liked post on the account. 

Senior Amiyah Hogue’s proposed to fellow senior Madeline Jung with an elaborate scavenger hunt all over Poway, with clues involving things in their relationship, ended at Hogue’s house, with a poster that said “I’m not just asking you to the dance, I’m making a promise to our romance,” as well as a promise ring. Also a contender: junior Nash Morrill’s proposal to junior Chloe Barsana at dinner, with plates of sushi spelling “prom?”

All of this is chronicled on Instagram @phspromposal2023, and the winners were reimbursed for their prom tickets.