Senioritis affects learning

As it is nearing the end of the school year, seniors in high school can all agree on one thing: we are over it. Seniors are not feeling this way just because they hate school or just do not feel like doing their homework, it is because we have worked so hard for the past four years that it feels like this last trimester is pointless. 

Many people, including parents, do not believe that “senioritis” is a real occurrence that senior students deal with throughout the school year, but according to Google, senioritis is defined as “an affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.” Seniors no longer have any drive to complete schoolwork, and since many high school seniors are 18 years old, they check themselves out of school somewhat frequently.

Additionally, many senior students have committed to their colleges, which makes it even more difficult to find the energy to keep attending their high school classes, keeping in mind that they still have to maintain at least a D letter grade for most colleges.

However, there is a potential cure for senioritis. According to Southern New Hampshire University’s website, three out of the seven tips they give seniors are to set goals to keep you motivated, reward yourself, and surround yourself with support. Seniors mainly look forward to seeing their friends at school, and they may feel accomplished after completing an assessment, so that may serve as useful motivation. 

In my opinion, senioritis is tough to overcome, especially since college is in the very near future for many seniors, but there is no doubt that life is incredibly short and I believe that seniors should try to remember that high school is only a once in a lifetime experience.