April 29th News in brief

Electric Car Charging lot:

As more students drive  electric or other plug-in cars, there is an increasing need to have electric car chargers. Over the summer Poway High and the city of Poway will install electric car charging ports in the North lot and the PCPA lot. There will be 15 chargers, and they will be up and running by the beginning of next school year for students to use. 

Agriculture Greenhouse:

A new greenhouse is being put up by the north lot next to the softball field .Other buildings in that area are getting renovated to add space for food processing, nurturing, chicken and rabbit breeding, and dog grooming. A goal for this greenhouse is to house a business for students to engage in, run, and make money. Boy Scouts for their Eagle Scout project, helped to clean the area next to the new building to allow for more space to grow crops, such as tomatoes and squash. When will building begin? The greenhouse is planned to be finished by 2024 for students to grow crops and breed animals. “I am so excited to be able to have a space where I can breed rabbits because they are my favorite animal,” sophomore Mckenna Hunting said. 

Prom Location:

On May 15th, the prom theme and location was revealed, which is a Flight at Night, at the USS Midway in downtown San Diego on May 21. Ticket sales begin May 2nd starting at 70 dollars and increase by five dollars every week leading up to prom. The dance begins at 7:30 p.m. and ends at 11 p.m., but students will not be allowed entry past 10 p.m. without a school approved reason, such as participation in CIF finals. Sophomores may only attend prom if asked by a junior or senior, and freshman students are not allowed to attend. It is recommended that students wear flat shoes because of the many flights of stairs where high heels could get caught.

Eye on Art Festival Returns:

For the first time since 2019, creative students are finally able to show off their talents to the rest of the campus once again. The Eye on Art festival will be returning in person to Poway on May 5. Students from drawing and painting, photography, sound production, and other art classes will have the opportunity to show off their work. There will also be live music and food. Both staff and students are filled with excitement over its return. “ We’re so glad to have it back in person again. We really want to promote it this year so students’ hard work gets represented,” admin assistant Pamela Goepfert said.