Quit campus hate

art by Suhail Rahimi

Principal Richard Nash made an announcement on May 13 to address the harassment a group on campus is receiving. The Gender Sexuality Awareness (GSA) Club was created to provide support for the LGBTQ+ community. Lately, the club has been receiving hate from fellow Titans on campus, including food thrown at them, inappropriate slurs, and students making fun of their pronouns. As a bisexual woman myself, the hate on campus makes it tough to want to learn in an unwanted and undesireable environment. Knowing I do not have the support of my peers makes it difficult to accept myself for who I am and who I love. 

School is supposed to be a safe place. People of all gender, races, sexualities, etc. should feel welcome here. GSA’s club goal is to provide a backbone for the students who do not feel comfortable in their own skin. But what do we do if the backbone begins to break, especially due to our own students’ actions? 

Members in GSA deal with constant hate and intolerable behavior from some students on campus, the ones who are immature and don’t know much about it. No matter how many announcements Nash makes, there will be no change unless students take action.  

Not only does the harassment affect the GSA club, but it spreads a message that other students who are part of the LGBTQ+ community are not welcome here.. 

For individuals, especially on a school campus, to disrupt someone’s peace because of who they love is far from okay, and will never be seen as acceptable. This type of behavior does not positively benefit anyone in any way, shape, or form. It creates a toxic and unwanted environment, and makes people feel unsafe and uncomfortable about who they are. This age for high school students is prime to reach out and find their true selves, but they cannot do that if this is the way they are treated. 

Who people choose to love does not affect anyone but the people in the relationship. Love is Love. And it is as simple as that.