Stress Less, Study More

Titans work on assignments from home.

The start of November means the beginning of finals preparation. No more tricks, treats, and haunted houses. Now the only thing to fear is the hour-long exams that determine the final grade. 

With all of this fear comes stress. Studying day and night, working on assignments, and juggling after-school activities really start to take a toll on mental health. Luckily, there are many tips and tricks that help reduce a large amount of stress the average high schooler experiences.  

Before the pandemic, one of the activities that ASB created for finals week was when they placed bubble wrap in the hallway to help release student stress. ASB president Sophia Chittle remarks on the activity by saying, “We had a lot of positive feedback and I am hoping to bring it back this year.” “We won’t be doing it for the first trimester because we were too busy, but it is under consideration for next trimester,” she said.

Therapist Monica Meclchor-Alvarez who works in student services says, “This is the time of the year when many students express feelings of stress and anxiety because they simply feel overwhelmed.”

Alvarez advises that students do a daily check-in with themselves. “Practicing self-care and taking just a quick break to see what you need at the moment can really make all the difference between focus and stress,” Alvarez said. 

She also emphasizes the importance sleep has on the ability to focus. Alvarez points to the recommended hours of sleep teenagers should get each night according to the CDC, which is eight to 10 hours.

Understanding that these hours may be difficult for involved Titans, junior Bradi Beireis offers some advice for time management. According to Columbia University, meditating for only a few minutes each day can have a positive long-term effect on focus.

Being involved in sport and clubs, Beireis is no stranger to the stress finals week brings. “I find that meditation and just really taking a few minutes to breathe and clear my mind before studying helps me to remember things,” Beireis said. 

All in all, it’s only natural to feel stressed out in the next upcoming weeks. Just remember to find time for yourself and it will prove beneficial for the final test result.