Titans take on Midsummer Night’s Dream

Titan drama students are ready to leave school and go to the magical forest! After a year of not being able to perform, Titans have begun rehearsing for the Poway High School 2021 play.

“It will be nice to give students an opportunity to socialize, collaborate, create, and be a part of a community,” drama teacher Sharon Wezelman said. 

Directed by Wezelman,  William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be performed at the Poway Center for the Performing Arts on Thursday Oct. 28 and  29 at 7 p.m., Oct. 30 at 2 p.m and 7p.m.

Auditions were held Aug. 30 and callbacks were Sept. 2 and 3. “We did not get through everything on the first day of callbacks so I had to add a second day of callbacks.  It’s important for me to see actors read for as many characters as possible so I can see where they best fit into the play,”Wezelman said.

The production has close to 35 cast members along with a team of ten students doing tech and design. Every role has an understudy in case anyone is out sick or has to quarantine because of COVID-19. 

Following Covid-19 guidelines, actors will have to perform wearing masks. “I think it will be challenging to express ourselves and our characters without our facial expressions,” freshman Elodie Frisque, who is playing one of the main characters, Helena, said. 

Even though there are a few changes being made to the performance, actors came back and are more excited than ever. 

“In every show I’ve been in at Poway, the cast has all been these tremendous, high-energy people, and that’s really what keeps you coming back. It’s like a whole different culture, and it’s a blast to be a part of,” junior Elliot Husseman, who plays Lysander, said. 

“I am extremely excited to get to know all of the cast and get to work with them, however I am most excited for the hair and costumes,” Frisque said. Actors will be dressed up as fairies, queens, kings, and more. 

The cast rehearses Monday through Friday and will continue with this busy schedule until the performances.