Fixing Cars with Keyboards

Fixing Cars with Keyboards

How could a class about working on cars be done in today’s ways of online learning? Luckily for students in Auto class, a solution was created, and it’s a simple yet effective one.

“[Mr. Cousin] talks about what we’re doing for the day, and then we’ll either do a quiz or a lesson, sometimes with an online motor simulator,” senior Tanner Castle explained.

It’s not an exact copy of pre-quarantine. Without being in person, the class has run into some limitations. But, this hasn’t slowed down the class’ efforts, and they’ve found ways to adapt to the new circumstances with technology. 

“It’s pretty cool actually. You’re given a work order that states the problem, and then you diagnose the engine. You have a view of the engine and you fix it by replacing the necessary parts, and then fill out the work order explaining what the problem was and how you fixed it. It’s a lot of fun,” senior Nathan Zabrosky said.

With all of these changes, the students are still able to have their fun learning environment, too. They can still talk to one another and Mr. Cousin, and the class stays very interactive even without the hands on ability.

Although the class is doing well, it still does not match what can be done in the shop. Students can’t wait to get back to working on the cars. “Auto is a lot better in person because it’s hands-on instead of an online diagram and in-person you can really see how cars work,” senior Tanner Spohn said.

Even with the disadvantages of online learning compared to in-person, interactive classes like Auto with Cousin and his students are doing the best they can in this unprecedented situation.