PAYING COLLEGE ATHLETES THE RIGHT WAY TO GO

Across the nation, student-athletes are leaving their campus after a hard day of college classes. They have even harder work coming up for themselves; sports. Often times athletes spend 20-30 hours on their sport each work, add that to another 20 hours of time spent on school and schoolwork, and you only get 3-5 hours of free time, which is mostly spent sleeping and resting or hanging out with friends and teammates. 

Athletes don’t get much sleep, and athletes want to get more out of your years at college. However, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) does not allow these hard-working students to make a profit with sponsorships with different brands or allow their university to pay them for playing. 

“Under NCAA rules, college athletes, no matter what division they play in or whether they have scholarships, are not allowed to take money for appearances or to be paid for advertisements that trade on their athletic skills,” Staff Writer at PewTrusts Elaine Povich states in an April article. 

Student athletes are allowed to have jobs while their sports is not in season, which is good to ensure the best effort for each student athlete. That rule should not change one bit. However, the student must ask for permission from the college and the NCAA before getting that job, which is awful considering the NCAA does not respond immediately and that job could be taken by the time the organization responds. 

“According to the NCAA, paid players would study less and play sports more,” Journalist from the Washington Post Patrick Hurby writes. This is the NCAA’s primary argument against the payment of college athletes, but it should not be their job to decide whether these young adults can make a living earlier on in life.