Girls top wrestlers in CIF championship

Sophomore Alejandra Valdivezo fought hard and succeeded in her second year of wrestling at Poway, winning the CIF Championship and placing first in the San Diego Masters Championship. Her teammate, freshman Xiomara Gallego, also won the CIF Championship and placed second in San Diego Masters.

In a sport dominated by boys, the girls on Poway’s team have dominated the sport this season.

“Their work ethic and their curiosity about the sport and technique just kicks in after every tournament, and that’s making them even better,” head coach John Meyers said.

Valdiviezo was ranked seventh in the nation among wrestling girls and earned national honors as a Fargo All-American in her second year of high school wrestling.

She began wrestling four years ago, and transferred to Poway from Ramona because she saw bigger opportunities for her academically and in wrestling.

“[Poway is] an amazing school with better opportunities,” Valdiviezo said.

In Reno, she faced her toughest challenge where she finished third, but she said she learns from her mistakes. She believes her biggest improvement from the beginning of the wrestling season came in her technique and mental toughness.

Gallego had a breakout season in her freshman year where she won the CIF championship.

The freshman wrestler began wrestling when she was 11 years old, but didn’t truly begin training for wrestling until last year in the eighth grade. 

This season, Gallego’s favorite moment was wrestling in Reno where she placed second.

“It was a fun experience to travel with the team and compete with everyone outside of California,” Gallego said.

Both wrestlers will compete in the state championship Friday, Feb. 25 against the top wrestlers in California.